1.19.2008

Day 2: Pico and the Sundance Kid

Well, folks, it hasn't been the most productive day at Sundance. So far, I've only been to one screening today, but I'm hoping to get into a midnight screening of "U2 3D" in an hour. I just waited outside in the 19-degree weather for two hours to see this movie, so it better be worth it. Check back tomorrow for a review.

This morning, I decided to skip the 8:30 a.m. screening of "Secrecy" in favor of sleep, which I'm now very happy about since I'm going to be up until 2 a.m. watching a three-dimensional U2 concert at the Eccles Theatre.

I saw Shorts Program I at 1 p.m. today at the Holiday Village Theatre. We had 2 tickets among the three of us, so I got in the wait list at 11 a.m. and was given #15, which was pretty solid. During my 90-minute break between getting my number and having to return to line, I ate an enormous lunch at the Chinese buffet and chilled. Dad and Yvonne went in with their tickets and saved me a seat next to them, and I got in with plenty of time to spare.

Steve, you wanted to know if any of the shorts were worse than Helmet. In the Shorts I program, I can give you an undeniable "yes" to that question. Let me first mention the two good shorts. The first film, "Chief," was excellent.



The last film, "A Relationship in Four Days," was pretty good. Here's the trailer:



The rest ranged from just-okay to are-you-freakin'-kidding-me? There was one film called "Motion Studies" that was literally just a guy running as fast as he can in full armor until he falls down. It lasted approximately 30 seconds. It would make a funny YouTube video, but a Sundance short? Give me a break.

I could go on about my distaste for a number of the shorts, but I'm trying to stay positive and I do have to run to catch the U2 movie.

I also waited in line for "I.O.U.S.A" but didn't get in. Such is Sundance on the opening weekend. Oh well.

On that note, here's my sad list of celeb sightings for today:

-The Edge
-Oh, and the back of Bono's head

At least those are good ones. Hopefully I can rack up some more at this next screening!

1 comment:

Steve said...

Thanks for the confirmation. Makes me feel better.